Wednesday, 29 September 2010

A techie session ..

in my craft room today.  Not much (well, nothing, actually) to show for it, except some cut up cereal packets and lots of little circles!

I took possession of a new Cuttlebug a couple of months ago, but haven't had the wherewithal to buy dies or embossing folders.  So, 'necessity being the mother of invention', I watched a couple of You***e videos and decided to make my own.

After two loads of washing and 12 double choc muffins (made not eaten!) I was ready to start.

I cut out a few sheets of card from cereal packets and then LOTS of circles with an ordinary office 2-hole punch.  Using the 1cm squares on my cutting board, I drew a grid, and stuck a circle at each corner.  Although it looked ok on the card, I didn't know how well they would emboss, or whether they were too close together.  I just did a small section to experiment with.  Because I wasn't using a proper folder, it took several attempts with card and then with paper, to get the right sandwich mix - sometimes it went through too quickly and I knew it wouldn't have made much of an impression and at others, I could feel the strain on the machine and whipped it out quick, before doing any damage to my new baby!
In the end, I was quite pleased with the results.

On paper -
and on card -

The pics aren't too brilliant but you can see the effect.  I did remember to write in my notebook how many sheets of card/paper I had to use each time, so I don't have to keep re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks to all the pioneers who make video tutorials for the rookies out there!  We love you.




No comments:

Post a Comment