Saturday, 2 July 2011

Hi - guess who?!

Hi there - I can't believe it's only a few weeks since I last posted - so much has happened in the Teddyware household.

I'll get the sad one out of the way first -

We had to say goodbye to Theo, our 17 year old cat, for whom life had just got too much.

This was him in a favourite spot in front of the fire a couple of months ago, and here's a lovely poem that came in a card from Mary, today -

We have a secret, you and I,
That no-one else shall know.
I see you on the fence at night
As cars go by and headlights glow.
And then as I reach out my hand
As I crawl into my bed,
I feel against the warmth of you,
I touch your silken head.
In daytime I walk up the path
And see ahead of me,
Your dark form on the windowsill
Alive again and free.
Is it only I that hears your purr
In the still house as I pass?
And when I call, only I
That sees the bending grass?

How lovely is that? 

On a much happier note, the garden is coming on leaps and bounds!  Hope you enjoy the pics -


The first one is taken standing at the bottom of the original garden, looking down towards the allotment that I have now drawn into the main garden.  I planted the hedge 12 years ago and, since the owners of the allotment land have disappeared, am putting in a claim to the plot.  The fence on the left divides the allotment, which was too much for me, and I've given it over to Anna, my lovely neighbour, to grow goodies for her young family.
You can just see mini raised beds between the large ones - I'm going to plant fruit bushes in these, and train them along the fence.

Beyond the beds is the chook area - I've moved an old shed down from the garden, which will become a des-res for the girls (ex-batt hens due to arrive 16/7)  There's a 6' high pen due to go up round the rectangle, inside the path (so Brer Fox can't muscle in).


Turning round 180deg back towards the house, all these paving bricks were dug up when we had the front drive done, about 5 years ago.  I knew they'd come in handy!  The guys have made a lovely job of re-laying them around the veg beds, looking like they were meant to be there, all along.  Then, behind them is the bed that I've since planted strawberries in - most of my stuff is going in way too late this year, but I'm hoping to get some crops.
Beyond that is the pond (well, a hole with potential, at the mo!)  That should be finished next week, and I'll post pics when it's done.

Next to the pond is a new patio - I wanted it down the bottom of the garden, to catch the afternoon/evening sun.  This was how it looked on Wednesday, 1/3 laid.


We bought reject stone slabs at 1/4 of the price of complete ones, and broke the area up with more of the bricks used on the paths - the idea was to draw the areas together, that it was deliberate and not let on that we were just using up leftovers and rejects!!

It's all a race against time now - the guys doing it for me move on to other jobs after next week, and there's still the rest of the original garden to do - line the pond, lay 2 slab paths, dig out new flower beds ....

I'll post some more as it happens (if anyone's interested - although it's very thearpeutic to put it down, even if I'm the only one to read it!!) together with pics of my girls, when they arrive.  Hopefully, they will settle and get to look as healthy and happy as Geraldine here -


She's a rescue hen, in someone else's garden.

I hope you can see from this, why indoor crafting has had to take a back seat for now, & you see why I call myself a 'flutterby'!

I love making new Facebook friends so, if you want to mosey on over to join me, look for this profile pic of Geraldine alongside my name (Porter) you'd be very welcome

Chris xx

No comments:

Post a Comment