Sunday, 22 April 2012

Confession Time - Handmade Monday

Hi - I'm hanging my head in shame, showing you these pics but I'm relying on you guys to keep me on the straight and narrow, over the next two weeks.

I'm at the start of a fortnight's holiday from work, not just because it's my birthday next weekend, but mainly because I need to tackle these problems -

 These first two are the small en suite shower room off the second (guest/craft) bedroom, and you can see it has just become a dump store for all the yarn I brought down from the loft but without anywhere for it to go.  It is a functional (when empty!) little room but with no colour or interest.  It had white paint splashed all over when it was first created (having been 1/2 of a little third bedroom) and really needs a facelift as well as de-cluttering.  I'm going to soften it by painting it caramel cream, with a new border around the top, as well as re-papering and painting the ceiling.  Sorry if I'm boring you, but even if no-one else reads it, I'm committted by putting it in writing.

Once upon a time I'd have thought nothing of decorating a room in a couple of days, but tempus certainly fugits and these days, just the thought of doing it is daunting!


These last two pics are the room itself.  As you see, it is very blue, and I've got some sweet wallpaper to soften it, and tidy it up.  It's looking rather tatty and not very inviting for guests.  At Ikea we found this -

It's the Antonius range, and you can put another of these units on top, and there are wire drawers to go with it.  It's white and quite dainty in style, so won't look out of place in a guest room, will store a lot of my stash (but I'll be able to see what's in each) and best of all, it's cheap!

 I'm going to start with the two units and later, if need be, will get another two.



We also found the Lycksele sofa bed (no, I'm not on commission from Ikea!) at at sensible price of £179.99

LYCKSELE LÖVÅS Two-seat sofa-bed Width: 142 cm Depth: 100 cm Height: 87 cmbut seemed very comfortable, and will fit nicely on the wall above, below the wall lights.  It's got a plain white cover but I wasn't going to pay another £60 for a coloured cord one - I'll use a big throw to go over it.  It won't get much use as a sofa but, hopefully, we will be able to invite people to stay over!

Anyway, not very exciting on the crafting front, but that's what's happening for my Handmade Monday (Tuesday, Wednesday ...!!)  Pop over and get inspiration from some much more organised bloggers at http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog/2012/04/handmade-monday-63/

Love for now, Chris x

16 comments:

  1. Good luck with your reorganising, still something I keep telling myself I must do could do with there packers and one of those big yellow units "Get your house in order' programme to make sorting so much easier, noit going to happen so off to juggle. Hope you get your bathroom done we still need to finish the bedroom so a surge of activity next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the decorating and organising. My craft stuff is shoved into my daughter's playroom which currently looks like a bomb has gone off in it! I'm not, however, committing anything in writing yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wishing you luck - I find the hardest thing is finding the time to do these sort of things. Often though once you get started it doesnt seem so daunting. You must post a picture up when your done. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the thought is often worse than the doing! I like the sofa bed it looks nice and comfy. That stackable unit looks very handy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! I keep saying I'm going to tidy, blitz and redecorate but so far it's not happened! haha! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Chris, Looks like you have been very busy. This is my last attempt to contact you to get your physical address so that i can send you the cathedral window pincushion that you won!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have some of those Antonius drawers in my studio. When we moved here, I kept an old door that was being ripped out and plonked it on top of two of the Antonius frames - it makes a superb spacious desk. The drawers are really good. Good luck with your makeover! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm starting to do some re-organising in my spare room, it's where I store most of my crafting bits and is a bit of a minefield. My mum is coming to stay with me for a week or so and I'm determined to start it now and not leave it till the last minute.
    Good luck with yours.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha - I thought I was the only one with a spare shower room full of craft - I've got more than you packed in there though! Goodluck with your decorating - I'm not envious. I did the entire house, top to bottom a few years ago, aided by our sons who were handsomely paid for their work! They did a good job though and it's lasted well - I'm in no rush to repeat the process!

    ReplyDelete
  10. well done you for getting down to such tasks! i have several 'zones of shame' that i just can't muster the time or inclination to tackle right now :)

    i'm sure you will be thrilled with the results that you achieve and feel much better for having ticked these jobs off your 'to do' list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with your decorating! I'm like you, I would have thought nothing of decorating a while back, but now I always find a reason to talk myself out of it. My OH is not keen either so we have to really force ourselves to do anything!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Decorating is such a daunting task and one that if you start you have to finish! I think thats why I have lots of grand ideas but never put anything into practice! X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck - I hope that it all goes to plan!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, you're reminding me of the MAMMOTH task I've got trying to organise rooms back to their proper function! I've got a Lycksele sofa bed in my studio. It's where we escape when the family come to stay, and it's really very comfy to sleep on.
    Good luck with the decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love to hear about decorating! I can't wait to see in progress photos! Sounds fun and I bet you will be so happy with it. BTW we have a trundle bed in my husband's office. Looks like a sofa (which gets very little use) but it pulls out into either 2 single beds or if you want to put them together, a King Size bed. Very nice for when we have company (since our 3 sons are all grown with families now). With space at a premium, it all makes so much sense.
    I love your ideas (and Ikea is a great place, I wish we had one nearby).
    Have fun. And share photos!
    Oh, I should take a photo of the stenciled border my husband did in our guest bath. It was a lot of work, but it turned out SO nice! I'll blog that soon, just so people can see it. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you need more practice, I have just the place for you to do it... Have fun with your decorating :)

    ReplyDelete