Monday, 30 April 2012

Wonderful Weekend

DH and I got back last night, from a great weekend with my family.  My sister hosted my 60th birthday party, my two wonderful DDs and great SIL, plus both my brothers and families, and my Mum and aunt were able to be there.  It was such a precious time.

 DD2 (Kate) and me

 DD1 (Jenny), Kate and my Mum



Jenny and my lovely niece, Katherine.

I was so blessed by their generous and thoughtful gifts.  My brothers and sister clubbed together for a mega-bucks Amazon voucher, and my brother Richard had carved these for me



It is about 14" square.  He said just to hang it outside on the side of the henhouse, but it's too precious for that - it's going to take pride of place on my kitchen window ledge, where I can look at it whenever I wash up.


I can't decide whether this sweet birdhouse will be too low down on the shed wall, or whether it needs to go higher, on the house wall.  I reckon he's really clever, and Rich - you've come a long way from the 'bear-dog-pig' we all admired last year!!  Heehee!!  I really was overwhelmed that he had taken so much trouble for me.

Kate gave me two tickets for the RHS Malvern Spring Garden Show next week, plus lots of little goodies and this lovely idea (I haven't seen these before)


 It's a journal with a different topic on each page - childhood memories, favourite things, and so on., as well as things about her - what she was like as a baby, etc.  The idea is that I fill it in and return it to her as a keepsake - what a lovely idea.  I'll take my time over doing this - might even make it a first project when I retire.

Jenny had already given my my pressie.  When she, Kate and I had our girlie day last weekend, she paid for my hair do, and outfit for the party, as well as them treating me to lunch that day.  They are such thoughtful daughters - I couldn't ask for better.

Anyway, we had a great time and - the piece de resistance - my brother in law asked what I would get with my voucher, and I replied an electric hedge trimmer (what every girl needs, eh?!)  He just said 'you don't need to do that - I've got one you can have!!'  They moved house recently, and the new one doesn't have a hedge.  How lucky am I?


On the journey home (3.5 hours) I knocked these up, ready for a cushion.  They really are quick to do, once you're in the swing of them.



Well, that's it for now.  I'm off to prepare to paper the shower room ceiling but need an extra pair of hands for some of it, so need to wait for DH to come home first.

While we were away, my neighbours Simon and Steph kindly looked after the cats and hens, and Simon has just popped round to measure up, offering to put a shelf in the henhouse, to lift the next box off the ground, and give them more room indoors - how kind is that?!

I'm posting this over on Handmade Monday http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog/2012/04/handmade-monday-64/ so pop over there for a mooch round some great blogs.

Love for now,

Chris

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! I love the chicken carving - that's amazing. I wouldn't be putting it outside either! Your crochet flowers look gorgeous. Happy birthday - sounds like it was a good one! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a fabulous birthday. I love the idea of the reverse journal,perhaps it'll catch on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely birthday you must have had and the journal sounds like a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound as if you have been thoroughly spoilt. I love the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many happy returns Chris, sounds like the perfect way to spend a Birthday weekend, I agree with you about the wonderful and thoughtful gifts. And I love the cushion squares you made..how clever, could a beginner manage that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia - I'm sure you would be fine as there is a great You Tube video to accompany the instructions which I found a bit difficult to follow. Just follow the links in my earlier post. I just kept replaying bits as I went along, doing it step by step. I look forward to seeing the results, on your blog. I've nearly finished the cushion and will post a pic on WOYWW. Chris x

      Delete
  6. What lovely gifts made with love and so pleased you had a good time. Happy Belated Birthday

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that someone has doctored your birth cert!

    Am loving the hen, what a talented family you hale from... Am looking forward to seeing the cushion :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday - what an amazing and thoughtful family you have! :) The flowers are so beautiful and bright - I can't wait to see the final cushion :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Happy Birthday! Sounds like so much fun. And I think I would like a hedge trimmer, but I might be a little dangerous. :) Can't wait to read more. :)

    ReplyDelete