Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Granny Meets Cath K

Just finished!  Once the blue rounds around the leaves were done, I joined them together (3ch, 1sst, 3ch etc) then did two rounds of doubles.  It looked a bit unfinished so I added a scallop (7 trebles in one hole, 1sst, 7 trebles etc.)

 I couldn't decide how to attach the front to a fabric back, so I made a complete envelope cover in the CK type cotton, and then hand-stitched the front to it, leaving the scallops free.

 I'm very pleased with the way it's turned out, and will start its partner, for my other niece, in pink, at the weekend.  These roses from Apple Blossom Dreams blog http://appleblossomdreams.blogspot.co.uk/ are really easy and quick to make, and the 3D effect is great.


This doesn't look very impressive, but it's the edge of the drive between us and next door, and where I dug out 6 huge old lavender bushes yesterday.  It took ages and filled 10 rubbish sacks!  Simon next door came out and put his boot behind the dead tree stump you can just see at the top.  I'm thinking about what to put in next - neat shrubs that won't spread out too much, blocking access to the cars.  I had garden centre vouchers for my birthday, which will come in very handy.

I still need to dig it over thoroughly, and remove all the ivy and other roots that have somehow found their way in.

As a bit of light relief after that, I spent the evening finishing off all the birthday thank you cards.  I was pleased with the way these turned out, too, as most of the bits and pieces were hand-me-downs.













I'm putting this post on WOYWW over at Julia's place http://stamping-ground.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/whats-on-your-workdesk-wednesday-154.html    Pop over and see what lots of others have been up to - some great stuff out there.
I'm also sending a link to Astri over at http://appleblossomdreams.blogspot.co.uk/ (where the rose pattern came from) to add to her pics of finished grannies - why not visit and see other people's take on this?

I've also put one of the birdie cards over on http://cas-ualfridays.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/cfc52.html  Some great cards over there, if you want to mosey over with a cuppa.

Back to writing the thank you cards before bedtime.

'Night, All

Chris x

11 comments:

  1. Such a great set of cards! LOVE the bright colors!!! Fabulous creations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable birds and love the bright colors! So glad you could join us this week at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your cards and the cushion you made is gorgeous...mmm must join you and see what you get up to...3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie - great to have you aboard x

      Delete
  4. Visiting from WOYWW. You do seem to have had a busy time.
    Carolyn #161

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris, lovely post, the cushion is gorgeous - love the crochet rose design and will have to check out how they are made. Your cards are lovely too. Hope you've had a good WOYWW. Elizabeth x #42

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! I have never seen a crochet blanket like that one. That is so fancy! How special the recipient will feel. That is excellent work. All your cards are great too. I love that they came from left over hand-me-down bits. Those are so fun to get out and play with from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A late visitor from Handmade Monday - so I get to see the finished cushion! It looks great, super colours.
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the crochet... and a wonderful selection of cards... Hugs May x x x#26

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cushion has worked out marvellously, I do like that the scallop edge isn't stitched down, so pretty.
    Great job on the drive, golly, we have labenders, they put up some resistance to removal I must say!

    ReplyDelete