Monday, 2 July 2012

Strawberry Fair

Which is more than can be said about the weather.

The plan was to spend this morning in the garden before going to work at lunchtime.  Luckily I got out straight away at 9am and managed to dig over a bed and plant the cabbages that were bursting out of the seed tray.  They are now safely tucked in under netting, away from the dratted pigeons and cabbage whites.  It won't keep the pesky slugs and snails though, and I'm picturing them smacking their lips, now that the rain has sent me inside.

I did manage to pick today's haul of strawberries though.


There aren't ever quite enough for a decent dessert (this is 2 days worth) so I think I'm going to start filling this, for Christmas (which Mr Flutterby tells me will be here 25 weeks tomorrow!)


That way we'll get scrummy fruit to put on ice cream, plus the most delicious liqueur.

Anyway, off now to finish my belated breakfast, and vacuum the spare room that I cleaned out last night.  That way, I won't feel like my morning off has been wasted. 

Bye for now, Chris x

Oops - forgot to say I was adding this post to the others at http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/handmade-monday-73.html  Pop over and have a nosey.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan for the strawberries! Not sure I would be able to resist them enough for that though! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I am not the only one to have mentioned Christmas in their blog this week. Lots of strawberry themed posts as well. Gorgeous fruit. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm sounds as if that will be yummy although I too am not sure that I could refrain from eating them. I love fresh strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I'd have to eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Years since I have seen Rumtopf, in fact think the last time was the 80's, now where did I put mine?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not familiar with Rumtopf but the pot looks good. Rustic theme :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No strawberries for me this year....just lots of slugs. Enjoy your rump too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I want a Rumtopf! I think I will have to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to use the fruit from the rumtopf for Christmassy tasting friut cake, it makes the cake really moist. (ooops I mentioned the 'C' word)

    I use crushed eggshells to keep the slugs at bay.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not sure how you resist eating the strawberries, they are one of my favourite fruits. Good luck with your cabbages

    ReplyDelete