Tuesday, 16 October 2012

Labours of love

Hi - I expect some of you will identify with two problems facing me at the mo -

The first is one that's been on the back burner for some time now.  Earlier this year DD2 said she'd like fingerless mittens and a matching cowl.  The mitts were no problem, and she was able to wear them a few weeks later in March.

 

Unfortunately, the cowl has been another story.

March 2012 -



October 2012 -



and it's grown by about 4"!

Two probs - the first is, it's really boooorrrrrrrrriiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!  My previous ripple attempt was a multi-coloured baby blanket (the blanket, not the baby!) so I was encouraged by the frequently changing yarns.  The second is, I've decided it's too wide but am at the stage where I can't bear to rip it out and start again, so need to persevere to the very bitter end.

Hey-ho, I've plumped for keeping it view so that I often pick it up, and will just break the monotony by doing other quick things in between, and at least be able to give the cowl in time for (this) Christmas.  With the extra time retirement has given, I'm also determined to tackle all the unfinished pieces in the cupboard

The second labour of love is new pockets for DH's 'at home' trousers.

Given his request (see previous post) for no flowers or frills on his pencil case, I'm tempted to put daisy or teddy fabric in as pockets (just not sure he'd appreciate the humour, and I wouldn't want to do the job twice!)  Some more thought required here as it's not as straightforward as I'd hoped.

Posting this over on http://stamping-ground.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/woyww-176-really-176.html  Put your feet up with a cuppa, if you've time, and have a nosey at what everyone else is up to.

Chris xx

11 comments:

  1. Your family really keep your fingers busy don't they? The mits are just phenomenal..I love the design of them...clever you!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get cowl finished in time for christmas , it takes the enjoyment of making something if you find it a bit boring but i'm sure you'll get there in the end . jill #51

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work Chris - I love the colour. You'll get there! I think the pockets with attitude is a fab idea - if you make them invisible to the outsider then I don't think hubby will mind at all. You reminded me of a dress shirt my hubby has - when you have a dinner jacket on it looks just like any other dress shirt with the starched front and cuff - take off the jacket and it is a riot of Hawaiian prints - fab! Have a great week WOYWW Hugs from Helen 77

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice projects on the go there - just keep the blanket by the side of the settee and do a few rows each evening - it will soon grow (that or have a small one!). Thanks for sharing - Sunshine Girl no. 57

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mitts are great! That is what I like about crochet--you can just rip out if your are not satisfied. I am working on some scarves to sell. Really easy patterns with yarn held double and large hook. Quick and easy.
    Karen 115

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chris,

    Wonderful crochet! I'm a knitter and really haven't challenged myself to make patterns. I'm ready to expand! My problem is I have a hard time remembering where I am in my knitting...... yikes. The cowl will be great, even though it's wider than what you want. She can fasten it closer to her neck with a favorite pin (just an idea).

    Happy WOYWW
    Hugs, Kay #18

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the things you are making, the mits look so warming, they remind me of my Mum who would knit mits and socks around Christmas time. Love your possibility of putting fun fabric in hubbies trouser pockets, what a scream. Thanks for sharing your creative pieces. Happy WOYWW and have a great end to the week.
    hugs {brenda} xox #88

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I can see your innocent face telling your Dh that you simpy didn't have any other fabric to use...go on, dare ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris, I DO want a cuppa, how did you know?

    And I think you should go with the teddy bear fabric . . .

    :)trisha
    #137 this week

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous mittens... and I'm sure the cowl is worth persevering with - I love a good snood (no, that's not snooze, though those are pretty good too!). I agree with Trisha - I think the teddy bear fabric would be hilarious, but then if he might not see the funny side... Belated happy WOYWW!
    Alison x
    #31

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the mittens! The cowl is beautiful too just say your knitting in extra LOVE! Tamika #124

    ReplyDelete