Wednesday, 24 October 2012

Lessons learned in my garden

My crafting has been taking place outside this week, when the weather has allowed.

I reckon that knowledge can be picked up quickly from books, but wisdom builds more slowly, over years, and nowhere more true than in the garden.  A few years ago, while still working, I only got out there occasionally, by which time it was often overgrown and soul-destroying.  I would work out there all Saturday morning and come in exhausted, with everything - tools, weeds, etc., just left until the next time I felt obliged to start all over again.  I never achieved much, and it always looked a mess.  Looking back, what a crazy way to live! 

Then, a couple of years ago, I had it landscaped, and things had to change if it was to be worth the investment.  Now retired, life is a little more relaxed and I can do things at my pace, and the garden has taught me some valuable lessons.

1.  Little and often is much better than longer and fewer.  Even if it's only for half an hour when the weather is dry enough, I try to get out there each day.  Some days I might go out several times, but I stop before getting tired then resenting it, and often treat myself to a cuppa and chapter of a book after a session. 

2.  I clear up at the end of each session, emptying the barrow on the compost pile and putting tools away - even if it means I've only managed 20 mins gardening and 10 minutes clearing.  That way, if I don't make it out again, things still look neat. 

3.  I'm learning to enjoy the successes and just learn from mistakes and failures, rather than beat myself up over them.  Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason for the way things happen - that's just life and it might be different again the next year.  Last year I was overrun with ripe tomatoes, while this year there were hardly any at all, and none of them ripened - down to the wet and cold first half of the year, I expect.  Instead, I've had a glut of courgettes, onions and runner beans (especially welcome when they were £2 a small bunch in T**co!)

So, all in all, my garden has taught me to relax and 'go with the flow', just enjoying the many blessings in my life.  I'd love to hear what your garden teaches you!

I'm posting this over with the lovely Julia, at http://stamping-ground.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/whats-on-your-workdesk-wednesday-177.html.  Pop over and have a look at what everyone else has been up to, when you've time for some R&R.

DOH!! You can tell I've retired - I was quite worried when I couldn't find Mrs D or any mention of WOYWW - finally realised at lunchtime today that yesterday was Tuesday!! Pop back later this evening, when I get round to posting what I've been up to this morning. xx

Love for now,

Chris x

5 comments:

  1. A garden as a workdesk has to be a good thing! And I couldn't agree more with your thoughts about knowledge and wisdom. Happy WOYWW!
    Alison x
    #35

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoy your alternative desk
    have a super woyww
    kay #57

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thoughts on knowledge and wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are some wise words indeed and completely applicable to our crafty endeavors outside the garden. I would add: "If it's not working, don't be afraid to yank it out!" When we bought our house there was this horrible juniper bush that was taking up too much space and not being particularly attractive. We dug and dug and dug and finally got the horrid thing out and never regretted it. :) Happy WOYWW from Laura #155

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wise words. I like my garden to e tidy but I don't like it, so a often doing the laboured long tidying stint with resentment and clearing up issues, how interesting! Having said that.....these days we actually enjoy sitting in it when the weathers right, so now I at least tidy with purpose!!

    ReplyDelete