Wednesday, 2 January 2013

WOYWW and the last of 2012

I promised to fill you in on the past few months, so here goes.

I retired in October, because I was beginning to go down the slippery health slope I'd struggled with last year. I have to say, I haven't regretted or missed it for a minute since, either, although it's taking time for me to find a sensible, balanced pace of life - and not feeling guilty if I just 'sit' is strange, too.

During the October half term, DH and I spent a lovely weekend up in Whitby, and I took Frank, whom I'd just finished making. I'd promised myself that I'd make something just for me, and as I love all things Tilda, Frank was the result.



However, I took Frank down to show my Mum, she fell in love with him and .. guess what?! Yes, he now lives with her. What's more, she showed him to Wendy, her home help, and now I have another to make! I might eventually get one to keep for myself.

We spent a weekend in the New Forest, with my brother, lovely SIL and their two girls.  There, SIL Janet started me on making Christmas wreaths, and I've gone on to make quite a few, as pressies and to sell.




Chilling with my brother Mike

 I've lost track of which Christmas makes I've shared with you so far (see recent posts), so here's a quick run-down of some that might be new to you -



More WIP rose brooches.
 

No, I didn't make him - my brother Richard did. You can see his and Val's other work over at
http://www.valeriesgarden.co.uk/                      



Baking to take to the family party.

Little Frosties and the larger wreaths


I then decided to upcycle a couple of lampshades I'd been given, to put in the hall, stairs & landing I've been decorating


I was pleased with the result - the hall still isn't finished (ahem!!) but there's something very satisfying about bringing old items back to life, not to mention saving the pennies.


This is the 'feature' by the front door - who thought it sensible to put the gas meter in such a prominent place in these houses?! I'm putting 2 shelves up - one under the window, for the phone, and one below, to put shoes on, with a curtain hanging below, to disguise the meter.


2 pipecleaner wreaths for dolls house-making friends


A couple of different brooches - good way to use up odd earrings!


Fabric balls for our 1 year old Godson


which apparently went down well!


I also knocked up 4 draught excluders to go on the doors between the sitting room and the conservatory, where a gale blows during very cold weather. They are cylinders of curtain fabric from my stash, stuffed with rolled up old towels.



A little stocking filler for DD2 - the frame was 1" and there's no cover over the butterfly which was a peel-off, stuck to acetate, cut out and just the body stuck to the BP, as if it had landed there.


I cheated with the Christmas cake. It was so bumpy it should have had a snow scene! Instead, I brushed grapes with egg white and dusted them with sugar. When dry, just placed them on the cake with bay leaves - 'holly' to the very shortsighted with lots of imagination!


And what about WOYWW, I hear you ask? DH and I are popping into town, to see if they're giving anything away in the sales. Then I hope to finish painting the hall and stairs. If I make good time with that, I'll continue with -


- finishing a knitted teddy for a pregnant friend, and experimenting with upcycling some Christmas baubles I bought in a charity shop for 10p each.  So far I've decoupaged them with gold tissue and a coloured snowflake cut from a paper napkin - they look promising and, if so, I'll post pics later.

Catch you over at Julia's - http://stamping-ground.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/woyww-187-arrrgh-edition.html

Have a wonderful new year! xx

5 comments:

  1. great post today. I love all the pictures and it looks like you were definitely a very busy person this holiday! Hope you have a Happy and Prosperous New Year! I look forward to seeing your posts in 2013! Vickie #17

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the wreaths, the baking looked delicious, and I am glad I am not the only person who cannot bake a flat fruit cake!Good luck with the decorating,Have a great week, Hugs, Shaz #41 xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post, I just loved reading about all the things you have done and looking at the photographs. Thank you so much for sharing. Wishing you a very Happy new Year Tracey R ±48

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post and lots of lovely makes to look at - well done. I gave up being a full-time wage slave just over a year ago and you are right, it takes a while to get used to being able to do what you want to do and not what others expect you to do. Now I am my own boss, I can tell myself 'no' if I don't want to do something. Hope you have a very happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rather like Frank too and it's not surprising he is popular! I recognise the feeling of being slow to adapt to a new pace of life - I felt the same after I accepted redundancy (my decision was also health-related). Happy new year - hope it's filled with wonderful things! x

    ReplyDelete