It's been another mixed week, craftwise, chez Flutterby.
It started with patching a couple of bed sheets so they could go back into circulation.
Then, a family from our church are moving away soon, and we have all been invited to provide 15cm squares to be included in a surprise quilt for them. There's no overall theme, but everyone was encouraged to make something with significance, and a book of explanation
will go along with it.
I used the flowery fabric I'd used for my wedding dress, for my first square -
and the other two were just my wishes for them -
Then - more squares - I dug out old Laura Ashley fabric I've had for probably 20 years - I'm taking it, with my sewing machine and a couple of other projects, to Mum's when I stay with her for next week, as she has her first cataract op.
I took DH's advice, and looked today for a couple of new cardigans for Mum, with pockets - but no luck. I couldn't find one anywhere, so came home and put pockets on the three I'd brought back from my visit a couple of weeks ago.
There was some oatmeal coloured fleck fabric in my stash that matched this cardi exactly. I originally thought of cutting straight across the knitting, binding the cut edges and putting a square pocket inside all three. But my machine didn't cope with sewing across the yarn, so I ended up with a different shape patch pocket hand sewn to the inside of each garment. The opening runs along the front edge of the cardi
and I was pleased that it's hardly noticeable from the front.
I used the same flowery fabric for both of the others - one a royal blue (sorry about lousy pics taken at night)
and on a lilac-y one. I experimented with different shaped pockets. The opening for the one above is on the slanted edge, while I folded over a square into a triangle for the one below. They only have to be big/strong enough to hold a tissue hankie.
This is the lilac one (another 'light' apology) and you can see that it's almost invisible from the outside.
Yesterday, my hero gardener Richard came, and we cleared the front and almost all the back garden, ready for the Spring, including cutting the lawn for the first time in 2013. It's wonderful having him to help for a day - I should now be able to keep on top of things for another year - providing I don't allow myself to get sidetracked. It needs to be a case of 'little and often'.
You might remember Frank, whom I made last year, and who went to live with my Mum. Well, her home help wants one, so I'll be making a brother (Sam) for him while I'm there next week, too.
Sorry that this has been a very bitty post but that's how things are at the mo. I'm posting this over at Julia's - http://stamping-ground.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/whats-on-your-workdesk-wednesday-198.html - so I might see you over there - it's well worth popping over to see what everyone else has been up to.
Have a great week, and I'll post again after Easter, when I get home. In the meantime, take care xx