Tuesday, 21 January 2014

... After



So finally, in December, I was able to put up the tree and we enjoyed a wonderful Christmas holiday, with most of the work done, and not a builder in sight.


I even enjoy washing up now, with my new sink



The washing machine had come in from the cold, outside, lean-to shed - no more frozen pipes in winter!


We chose a touch-control hob - so easy to clean, with no knobs!



The shades came from Dunelm, and the builder made the shelf for my pots and pans


He also routed MDF to look like tongue and groove panelling, with Grandad's retirement clock in pride of place



and a shelf above holds my cottage collection















I made a chandelier/hang-y type thing for over the dining table, to match the new gypsy chandelier in the sitting area. My gypsy chandelier is totally wacky and OTT but I love it - makes me smile every time I look at it. Fortunately, Mr Flutterby approves, too!



I also spray-painted the two, old wall lights. Maybe I'll get round to replacing the odd bulb, too!! LOL

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The builder moved out, the floors were laid and the walls painted, just in time for the Christmas tree and decorations to go up


and this is what the whole thing now looks like -





The table under the shelf is temp, until we put up a fold-down worktop, giving more floor space when not in use.



The shelf trim is a piece of lace I pinned on, and covered the pins with pearl buttons, blu-tac'd on


I shabby-chic'd this box last year, and am delighted how well it fits in (holds some of fabric stash)

You can see my taste hasn't changed much - made 20 yrs ago, before I was married!

I love this fabric from Dunelm (only £8.99pm!) which is a good, heavy cotton (Note Poppy's tail, below!)
The aim of the exercise was to provide Mum with a shower and loo downstairs, and this is how it ended up



It's turned out even better than I'd hoped, with lots of room for me to be in there, helping her shower, etc., and the new hard flooring here and throughout the downstairs mean that she can walk safely - I can go out and leave her with a peaceful mind and, if ever she needed her wheelchair indoors, that should work, too.

The next (and last phase) is to change the front room into her bedroom, and the plasterer will be here next month, to start that.

Anyway, you're probably heartily sick of this makeover (if you even managed to read this far LOL!!) so I'll sign off and leave you in peace. Have a great week. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment