Wednesday, 19 February 2014

WOYWW

Hi there - I've been busy recently, re-vamping my sewing table and an old utility desk, and I'm very happy with the results.

The first phase was to paint both with white primer. Once it was dry, I mixed a match pot of mid-blue into some white emulsion, until it was the right shade of baby blue. That went all over the outsides, but I left the insides, partly because the table has lift out drawers and looks nice as it it, but also they would get a bit too shabby with frequent use.


Once the blue was dry, I cut out motifs from a couple of paper napkins, peeled off the backing and stuck the flowers in place with slightly watered down PVA. Once they were dry, I painted all over with more slightly diluted PVA, to seal the paint and paper, and give a soft sheen. This is a great way to get a fresh new look for pennies - left over primer & emulsion, £1 for the tester pot, I already had the napkins - so, both for just over £1.00!!


I ran out of blue before finishing the desk, so the inside of the shelves is white emulsion but, even though I say so myself, it looks intentional! Oops, just noticed this pic was taken before the shelves had their second coat of white. The actual colour is half way between the table above and the desk below.



The atrocious weather has died down a bit here, and I even had the garden doors opened for a while today - so lovely to have fresh air blowing through. And I was very glad it was dry and sunny on Sunday, when my sister, her husband and three girls came up to visit Mum and us for the day, and we were able to go out for a carvery lunch which was great. There's frantic activity in the birdhouse, as the blue tits look ready to take up residence. I've asked a friend to make two more houses, and hope to get them up in time to have a little colony of these sweet birds this Spring.


Mr Flutterby is off work this week, for half term, and we're clearing everything (and I mean everything) from the front room, in time for the plasterer arriving to skim the walls and ceiling on Monday, before we decorate and carpet it as a downstairs bedroom for Mum. Thank goodness this is the final phase of our renovations - not sure how much more of it I could take - the problem in a tiny house is finding places for the stuff meantime! With visiting DH's sister tomorrow and spending time together during his holiday, it means there won't be much crafting happening the rest of the week.

Hope you're having a good week, and look forward to seeing you over at Julia's here, having a nosey at what everyone else has been up to this week.

Love for now xx

10 comments:

  1. Love the upcycle!! Just gorgeous!
    Hope you're keeping safe - the storms have died down here... Love your wee daffs :)
    Happy WOYWW!
    no. 31

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new table..very pretty and so cheap!
    Hugs, LLJ 44 xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love what you have done to the little project.
    Sandra @25

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done such a great job with the furniture. Really pretty. Good luck with the blue tits. Beautiful birds. Have a good WOYWW
    Love Karen #47 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am just like you, i cant stick with one craft for long before another grabs my attention. Beautiful table.
    Gill xx 48

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what you've done with the table. Good luck with the rest of the renovations #1

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice idea. How very clever to be able to do this. They look so nice.
    Nelle 71 xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I especially like the desk! I have bought some very fun paper napkins in the hopes of covering a suitcase with them. My delay was wondering how I would properly seal the napkins so they don't tear. Thanks for giving me an idea on how to address this problem.

    I love birds in the garden. I took a great photo of a woodpecker last week. He's so beautiful.

    Happy belated WOYWW
    Kay (90)

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a lovely table, well done. Karen #101

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty table. We love recycling.

    The house of bears @ # 116

    ReplyDelete