Tuesday, 25 March 2014

WOYWW - A mixed bag ...

... of sad and happy this week. We had to say goodbye to Poppy, our tiny 17 year old, senile cat. She had been going downhill for a long while but, on Saturday, she couldn't stand properly, and we decided that she'd had enough. We are very blessed in having a friend who is a vet, and he came over and agreed with us. It was lovely, as he injected her while she was resting on my lap, and she just slipped away while we chatted. 

Anyway, I needed something to take my mind off all that, so I started a cot quilt I've been meaning to make since a friend's baby was born three months ago (doesn't tempus fugit?!) Well, better late than never, I finished it today. I've never done one before (hence the delay) but was pleased with how easy it was.

I used scraps from my stash, so the only cost was the wadding. I've had most of the fabric for years - the flowery, blue triangle at the bottom was left from my DD1's baby dress - 34 years ago!!




I've been told you shouldn't use a quilt these days, until the baby is a year old (makes sense, really) so I added a little friend using the border fabric, for her to play with in the meantime.



The pattern for this came from this blog  Thanks, Suse!

I've been finishing off some tiny prem baby knitting, to pass on, via Shelley. It's handy that Shelley lives just a few miles from me, so I can drop them off, rather than posting.

The first couple of piles are for babies who sadly don't make it - dresses with bonnets, and sleeping bags.





And, finally some tiny hats for little ones who are fighting back.


One thing I love is that I can pray for each of the families, as I'm knitting. 

Hope your week is going well, and that you find time to pop over to Julia's, to see what crafty stuff is happening elsewhere. Happy WOYWW! xx


11 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about dear Poppy.Losing a pet is very hard.Our old cat was 17 when he passed too. I cried buckets!
    Great cot quilt and cute toy!
    How heart warming are those tiny baby knits.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Judy - it certainly seems strange around here without her. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your cat, horrible loosing a pet. Quilt is lovely, thanks for sharing Donna #35

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor old puss cat... at least she had a wonderful life and passed away in love x
    That quilt is amazing and they can always use it for baby to have a roll around on, the little toy is cute!
    And well done for all the charity knitting. I've seen links for this on the UK Handknitting site. They are much needed..
    Hugs, LLJ 27 xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear of your poor Poppy. The quilt is lovely there's nothing like crafting to help ease the mind of its woes. Thoughts are with you Lyns xx #58

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about poppy so glad that she got to stay at home till the end with you. Cute little bunny you have made.
    Happy WOYWW
    Sandy #25

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, poor Poppy, but the time was right and it's better that she doesn't suffer. The quilt is pretty, cute little toy and I love the knitting and the love an prayers that goes into each piece. How sad that some of the little ones need their final sleep sack.

    Hugs
    Brenda 68

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always so hard to lose a kitty, but it certainly sounds as if Poppy had a lovely life.

    Such a sweet quilty and stuffy, and all that pretty knitting--amazing!

    Happy woyww to you!
    :)trisha
    #16 this week with a
    jewelry organizer

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dear sister and her first born where beneficiaries of a lovely knitted sleeping bag and believe me, it was really appreciated. Love in every stitch, I don't doubt your prayer strength. The quilt is lovely..well done you, a first is always a bit scarey!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so hard to lose a beloved cat or dog.....

    The knitted items for the premies are so thoughtful and beautiful. Your prayers and care for others is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a special gift for the little premmies and their families. Love that every stitch is a prayer. The quilt is beautiful!
    Happy very belated WOYWW!
    Tertia #67

    ReplyDelete