Wednesday, 4 February 2015

WOYWW Pt 2 - January Projects

I've split this week's post, as it covers from New Year. You can see the first instalment, posted last night.

January crafting was very varied, which always appeals to my flutterby nature.

My two DDs' birthdays were last month (35 and 33 - 'No ', I hear you gasp, 'surely not!! You're FAR too young!!' Afraid so). Anyway, I'd picked these beauties up in our recycling shop several years ago, hoping to turn them into trinket boxes. They are beautifully made, by Windsor and Newton, the artists' paint people. The outsides were nicely varnished but had their logo stamped on, and the insides were quite rough.


So, I stained the insides, quilted the lid inside with French Navy silky fabric from the stash, and lined the drawer insides with it, too, making a ring holder for the top long section (unfortunately, ran out of the fabric for this, and had to substitute a similar colour cotton. But that's what you get when you're tight stash busting!).





I was able to disguise the logo by adding shell embellishments. I had thought of decoupaging the whole of the outsides, but knew the girls would prefer an uncluttered look. I'm very happy with the results and, thankfully, Jen and Kate were, too. Not bad for £3.00 each!! They did get a cash gift, too, so I'm not that mean!


DH raised his eyebrows when I said I loved socks (his hearing's not what it was - haha!) These are the latest, his stripey ones in 4 ply, proper sock yarn, done on 4 needles and the others, in 8 ply, done on 2 needles. I find the first type more satisfying, as they magically grow, complete, with no sewing involved, but the second are quick, being thicker and just two needles, but you have to sew up the backs and sides of feet.



The final January project was another hat for Mum. I'd done a blue one for Christmas but, subtle as ever, she hinted she'd 'quite like a red hat'. It doesn't look it here, but this is a deep, cherry red and, thankfully, she wears it happily.


Now to decide on a project just for me - before anyone else gets a chance to ask for something !

I hope to visit everyone at Julia's for WOYWW over the next few days. Thanks to all who pop by here and leave a message. If you have time and are not too exhausted at the end of this, you might like to read part one, dated yesterday. Unfamiliar with WOYWW? Click the button on my side bar and be prepared to be wow-ed with some amazing stuff.

Hugs and blessings, Chris xx

29 comments:

  1. Love the boxes, great alteration!! you've done a lot of knitting, love the results. Thanks for visiting. Helen 8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow to the transformation of the box . It looks great . Happy woyww jill #22

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the boxes, what a complete change from what they were, and that red hat looks great, nice of you to create one for your mum. Thanks for sharing and happy WOYWW

    Hugs Eliza & Yoda 21

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know you're quite good when you get "volunteered" to make things! *wink* Such lovely jewelry boxes and I've told you before I'm in love with your socks!!!! Great work on everything! God bless!

    Happy Crafting!
    Jeannie #9

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm whizzing round all my fav blogs while the twinnies play with the Knex by me 😃
    Really gorgeous makes on show today. I hope you get to make yourself something nice too now.
    Hugs Annie x #15

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely transformation to that box - I am not very good at that sort of stuff as I am mainly a card maker!
    Lots of hugs,
    Cardarian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great projects and lovely to see you have found a great use for some really well made boxes. Love the little hat and socks.
    sandra de @13

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of lovely makes there, especially the boxes. I oove repurposing.

    Horace @ no. 47

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here we are at part 2. Well done - I thought you said you had to get your oomph back??? Seems like it has returned in giant packages. Those boxes are just great - and look so lovely. Good looking socks and fun hat. Trust you find something JUST for you now. Hard to stop doing for others, though, isn't it??
    Take care of yourself. God bless.
    Margaret #7

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your remake turned out lovely, and I'm amazed as always at your knitting. Umm, I'd quite like a red hat, too . . .

    (It was worth a try, lol!)

    :)trisha
    #67 this week with the
    finished chair & a chalkboard

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh! You have been busy! Love what you did with the boxes, beautiful.
    Have a good week
    Christine aka Bishopsmate #73

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, great job with the box beautification! No wonder your DDs loved them...I particularly loved the quilted box lid, tres chic?
    Lol about your DHs hearing!! I didn't know you could knit socks on just two needles...it's the the thought of four needles that's always put me off having a go! Well done you, they look great and so do you....you're still very young and must have been a child bride ;-). I'm not old either........lol!
    Hugs, LLJ 26 xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Chris! Your altered boxes look great! I couldn't tell that there are two different fabrics in them. Bet your girls will love them! Happy WOYWW! zsuzsa @ InkyDinkyDoodle #34

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cannot believe you got those boxes for £3 - what a bargain! I love what you did with them too!

    I love your socks - I am a great fan of new socks and they look especially snuggly!

    Carmen x #53

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those boxes look fabulous. You did a great job on them. As for the knitting...I don't usually even sew...but knitting will NEVER be seen on my desk...it gives me an instant migraine. I always admire everyone elses work. #56

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your altered boxes look great! Well done you! Good idea to put some shells on them. What is a recycling shop? Is it like a thrift shop or charity shop?
    Your mum must be an elderly lady (I'm doing maths here) and bless her for wanting a red hat!
    Have a good week, hope the weather isn't to bad,
    Lisca#41

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely boxes, congrats on the find! I love socks too, and my next "for me" project will probably be socks, since all the ones I have are starting to wear out. I always do mine with five needles, which is how sock needles are also packaged here.... I guess different countries have different traditions at this, and the results are almost the same anyway! Kristiina #27

    ReplyDelete
  18. I find that very fun that your mama feels free to hint at a cheery red hat and that you can deliver. the boxes turned out fabulous!! :) ~Stacy #77

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love what you did with those boxes! The socks are great, too. :-)

    Thanks for the visit to my blog earlier and for the kind words.

    Happy creating and happy woyww,

    Sandy #10

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your boxes look lovely! The best gifts are handmade as they are always filled with love! Love knitted socks something I have always wanted to learn ....maybe some day. Have a great week.
    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the boxes. The socks and the hat are great and look very cosy. Have a great week, Angela x 33

    ReplyDelete
  22. I absolutely love what you did with the box. It's brilliant and lovely. The rich blue really sets off the beauty of the box. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your altered boxes are such a brilliant idea love how you did they thanks fir the visit hugs Nikki 14

    ReplyDelete
  24. The jboxes are lovely.

    Loving the socks and hat.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    happy WOYWW
    Sue #37

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulous boxes and a bargain. I'm getting to like socks as I get older keeps my tootsies nice and warm. Thanks for your visit Anita 49

    ReplyDelete
  26. These boxes are awesome! You did a very good job on them! Lovely knitting as well.
    Thanks for your earlier visit
    Hugs
    Gabriele 23

    ReplyDelete
  27. You did a wonderful job on the boxes, I can see why they loved them, great job and the socks are lovely too... but 4 needles would be three more than I could cope with! LOL @ your Mum and her hat hints... it is a beauty!! Sorry for late visit! Annette 51

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ooh, you've done a smashing job on the boxes - they look very classy with the little decoration on the top. Great knitting too, I love the stripey socks! Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier, sorry I'm late this week,
    Diana #36

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice job with the birthday gifts for your daughters! It is so fun to see the potential in an object and make it happen. Happy WOYWW and thanks so much for visiting! ~ Laura #65

    ReplyDelete