Wednesday, 18 May 2016

WOYWW - My Little Obsession

A few months ago, my flutterby brain took me off in an entirely new direction - dolls houses and miniatures. I'd always loved the idea of them, but then a friend gave me a kit she didn't want, and I was hooked.

Welcome to Thimble Cottage (4" tall, 1:48 scale). Kits like this are flat pack, made of balsa type wood or cardboard, for you to assemble and decorate. I made the thatch from an old paint brush, the plants are tissue paper and florists' wire, the bean poles - cocktail sticks, grass - crumbled oasis, veg beds - match sticks and the soil, tea bag innards.


Having got such a kick from improvising with stuff I found round the house, I decided to go the whole hog, and used a rusty garden ornament for the next one, Lantern House. The chair is made of card, the curtains, carpet and portraits made from bits in my stash.


I then discovered the wonderfully talented Sharon Ojala at her 'Homemade Obsessions' blog. It was love at first sight, and I made my first needle-felted figure. Meet Eric ...


Eric and his adventures have really taken hold of my little world. He likes to be known as 'Eric, Eco Warrior' and is insisting that everything he has is made from recycled materials. Right now, I'm helping him build a tree stump home, and you can follow our progress, and his other antics, at his own Facebook Page, 'Away with the Faeries'.

This is the pine cone roof we finished a few days ago


just before painting the inside of the stump (this is the view through the French windows to the front door) and you can just see his bedroom porthole window at the top (no floor/ceiling in yet).


I hope to be able to share more progress next Wednesday. In the meantime, you could follow him on Fb. I hope to catch up with as many of you as I can, via Julia's network (see WOYWW button on side bar, click and be amazed!)

Love and best wishes, Chris and Eric xx






9 comments:

  1. Wow, Eric. You are certainly being treated to a luxury home by Chris. Keep up the good Eco warrior stuff... Now I must talk to Chris... Brilliant! Well done - such fun.
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #5

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cool! I love the needle-felted Eric, Eco warrior. What a wonderful world you've created!

    Happy WOYWW
    Sharon K #45

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow i totally love the dollshouse, and the lantern! what a fab idea! Eco Eric is fab!! Lea #57

    ReplyDelete
  4. the patience that took is totally mind boggling to me ( I am fairly lazy and enjoy the instant gratifications of cards still) :) but, that is so COOL your doll house and the level of details :) ~Stacy #52

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always loved miniature houses, so seeing yours has been a real treat. Eric is being spoiled rotten!! What fun 😃
    Hugs, LLJ xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely little houses and such a amazing use of bits and peices youv'e a great imagination.Eric is one lucky eco warrior.Thanks for visiting and I'm so pleased you started blogging again or we would have missed out on these delights. Belated WOYWW crafty hugs Andrea #3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Christine, WOW!!! I am loving the minature house and especially the lantern home. Eric is adorable and I am looking forward to seeing his home grow.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Happy WOYWW
    Sue #18

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooooh Christine, I'm totally smitten with your miniatures! Thistle Cottage is so sweet, what a brilliant idea to use an old brush for the thatch. Eric is so cute, can't wait to see how his tree stump house turns out. I love miniatures too, I have boxes of stuff and two old dolls houses stashed away in the garage waiting for my retirement! Have a lovely weekend. Annie C #26

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello. I looked to see if you had posted for 7th Anniversary WOYWW. So I'm very late here from last week instead. Your makes are gorgeous!!!! Thanks for visiting last week - I went to my son's on the Thursday and couldn't get my comments.
    Anne x

    ReplyDelete